Education & Professional Experience
Doctor of Philosophy in General Psychology, July 2009
Northcentral University, Prescott Valley, Arizona
Dissertation (full document available): The Relationship Among Adult Personality, Adult Attachment Style, and Parenting Stress in Adults who Adopt Maltreated Children.
Master of Science in Counseling Psychology, May 1995
Gannon University of Pennsylvania, Erie, PA
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, May 1993
Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Clarion, PA
Licensure & Certification
- North Carolina Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor #S3868
- National Board Certified Counselor #39107
- Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor #T-1354
- Circle of Security® Parenting Facilitator
- Certified YogaKids® Teacher
- EMDRIA Basic Training – Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
Academic Honors & Volunteer Positions
- Mentoring volunteer through YMCA Community HOPE Mentoring Program, September 2016 – present
- Board member of North Carolina Association for Play Therapy, July 2011 – June 2016
- Recipient of North Carolina Licensed Professional Counselor of the Year award, 2005
- Served on Orange County Youth Services Advisory Committee, 1997 – 1999
- Recipient of two graduate assistantships as Resident Director and Graduate Research Assistant at Gannon University. Positions paid full graduate tuition and stipend.
- Inducted into Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology, 1992
- American Counseling Association
- Licensed Professional Counselor’s Association of North Carolina
- National Board for Certified Counselors
- Association for Play Therapy
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Triangle Child and Adolescent Resources
- North Carolina Infant Mental Heath Association
Licensed Psychotherapist, Private Practice, Raleigh, NC
October 2001 – present
- Improve psychological functioning of children, adolescents, and adults by providing diagnostic assessments and mental health treatment. Primary population of care includes children, infancy through adolescence.
- Specialized services (50-75% of caseload) provided for domestically and internationally adopted children with insecure attachment style, reactive attachment disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and other mental health conditions related to child maltreatment.
- Other child mental health conditions treated include anxiety disorders, mood disorders, disruptive behavioral disorders, and adjustment disorders.
Clinical Supervisor & Trainer, Private Practice, Raleigh, NC
November 2000 – present
- Provide clinical supervision for graduate students and individuals seeking credentialing as a Licensed Professional Counselor and/or certification as a Registered Play Therapist.
- Provide training and consultation to mental health professionals in private, agency, and school settings who serve children, with emphasis on assessing and treating children with early histories of parental loss, attachment disruptions, trauma, and child maltreatment.
Psychotherapist, Lutheran Counseling Center of Lutheran Family Services, Raleigh, NC
1999 – 2001
- Improve psychological functioning of children, adolescents, and adults by providing diagnostic assessments and mental health treatment.
- Administered case management services to children with serious mental health impairment by coordinating on-site psychiatric care, facilitating contact with schools, and connecting families with community-based services.
Residential Program Director, Sheaffer House of Lutheran Family services, Chapel Hill, NC
1997 – 1999
- Directed a non-profit residential facility serving adolescents in need of out-of-home care.
- Developed and managed a $250,000.00 annual operating budget and maintained licensing standards for facility.
- Recruited, trained, and provided clinical supervision to an assistant director and six residential counselor staff.
- Developed and monitored client treatment plans, monitored medication administration, facilitated small group counseling sessions, and planned therapeutic outings and events for residents.
- Represented Lutheran Family Services in the local community by serving on the Orange County Youth Services Advisory Committee and the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church’s Social Ministry Board.
Child & Family Therapist, Family Services of NW Pennsylvania/Family Preservation Unit, Erie, PA
1996 – 1997
- Strengthened high-risk families and children by providing intensive, in-home counseling services.
- Conducted child and family risk assessments, formulated solution-focused goals and treatment plans, and closely monitored progress.
Marriage & Family Therapist, Family Services of NW Pennsylvania/Wrap-around Unit, Erie, PA
1996 – 1997
- Provided marriage and family counseling services, employing interventions based on systemic and structural counseling theories.
- Improved marital and family functioning by strengthening communication and problem-solving abilities of couples.
Therapeutic Support Counselor, Sarah Reed Children’s Center, Erie, PA
1995 – 1996
- Provided individualized developmental and mental health services for a 5-year-old child diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome.
- Adapted kindergarten educational curriculum to meet child’s needs.
- Extinguished aggressive behaviors and improved peer socialization by creating individualized behavior management programs in child’s home, school, and after-school environments.
- Trained parents, school personnel, and other providers on maintaining and enhancing child’s progress.
Counselor Intern, Sarah Reed Children’s Center, Erie, PA
- Targeted needs of residentially placed children with mental health impairment and provided individual and group counseling services based on needs.
- Improved peer socialization behaviors by instructing weekly social skills lessons in residential classrooms.
Counselor Intern, Chestnut Elementary School, Fairview, PA
- Created and instructed classroom guidance lessons for grades K-5.
- Provided individual and small group counseling services focusing on social skills, anger management skills, and grief and loss issues.
- Member of instructional support and multi-disciplinary teams to meet student needs and form individualized educational plans.
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Counseling Psychology, Gannon University, Erie, PA
1994 – 1995
- Conducted research for staff psychologists and performed administrative tasks for psychology department.
- Proctored exams for graduate psychology courses.
University Assistant Resident Director, Finegan Hall, Gannon University, Erie, PA
1993 – 1994
- Provided safe and cohesive living environment for 230 university residents.
- Counseled residents with academic and personal concerns, enforced university rules and regulations, and handled disciplinary issues.
- Conducted recreational programming for residents on academic and social issues.
- Served as Co-advisor to Gannon University Resident Life Council.
- Hired and supervised seven work-study students and eight Resident Advisors for residence hall.